04 March 2007

The new "F" word

We noted Ann Coulter's latest controvery with much amusement here. I'm not a big fan of Ann Coulter, but she does occasionally make me laugh.

"I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate, John Edwards, but it turns out that you have to go into rehab if you use the word 'faggot,' so I'm - so, kind of at an impasse, can't really talk about Edwards, so I think I'll just conclude here and take your questions,"

Well, that's a little socially unacceptable. Then again, that's what Ann Coulter does. Says socially unacceptable things that are occasionally very clever.

I'm not into PC - not at all - but that sort of remark strikes me as very rude. John Edwards, even though he has remarkable hair, is pretty certainly not a faggot, and so I find the use of a very "high school" term a little puzzling.

Now we have to listen to the talking heads wring their hands and natter on and on about how it's not nice to call people "faggots." As though a "shock factor" pundit calling a politician a very rude name requires more social navel-gazing.

I think "candyass" would have been a better choice. No sexual politics, and I'm thinking that was where she was going. Plus, "candyass" is a great term that doesn't get the use it deserves.

And then, of course, we have Edwards' response:

"Ann Coulter's use of an anti-gay slur yesterday was un-American and indefensible," Edwards said in a posting on his Web site, www.johnedwards.com.

"In America, we strive for equality and embrace diversity. The kind of hateful language she used has no place in political debate or our society at large.

"I believe it is our moral responsibility to speak out against that kind of bigotry and prejudice every time we encounter it."

That's just about the most simpering, sniveling, sanctimonious response I could have dreamed up. C'mon, John! You're a millworker's kid - you can do better.

I would have committed to vote for John Edwards if his reponse would have been something like along the lines of, Ann Coulter is a snarky bitch, and she can kiss my zillionaire "faggot" ass.

If we have to listen to this polical crap this far before the damn election, they all ought to at least make it entertaining.