13 August 2007

Cool site

I saw a spot of Fox News the other day, and found the good people of Dogs Deserve Better.

It's an organization dedicated to trying to decrease the practice of chaining dogs. You know what I mean - the neighbor's hysterical wolf-looking beast that barks all night and looks as though it wants to eat you?

Anyway. Good site, good cause. I bought a coffee mug.


I have noted, in my time with dogs, that they do not like to be separated from stimulus. I've seen lots of them, mine included, go absolutely batshit when someone is on the other side of a fence, or just out of sniffing reach when they're on their leashes.

Casey, for instance, is a perfectly cheerfuly beast. But if she can't get up close and smell something...well, then the police dog routine is in full effect. Really, the only way dogs have of perceiving and understanding people is to get right up close and get a good sniff.

Chains are worse than fences and leashes for all the obvious reasons. In addition to putting a dog at a tactical disadvantgae, which makes them defensive, chaining sucks. Really - would you like it?

Now, I know there are some of us out there who kinda look out the side of our eyes at the idea of passing laws about such things. It's my dog, we think, who's to say what I can do with it?

Well, I kinda sorta agree. Now, personally, I wouldn't mind if we added an Amendment to the Constitution mandating being nice to dogs. However...that's not how it's supposed to work. I'm not even sure what that's really the province of States. But towns/villages/cities/townships? Hells yeah. I'd be proud to live in a town like Maumelle, Arkansas:

any person owning animals whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, licensed or unlicensed, shall confine such animal within an adequate fence or enclosure, or within a house, garage or other building in conformance with Maumelle Bill of Assurance or its successor. Animals shall not be tied or chained to dog houses, or other stationary objects, but must be in an approved enclosure

I like city ordinances, in theory. They're an opportunity for a community to express its values. And, in an official Bad Dog Opinion - "No Dog Chains" is a Good Community Value.

(So, add the Bad Dogs, is Free Bacon on Tuesdays)