24 September 2006

Next Topic

OK - We've addressed the name of the blog issue. I have two dogs, and they are Bad. Now let's address me, in a nutshell.

I live in Tampa, Florida, with my husband, who will henceforth be referred to as "Mr. Abby." He's an active duty military guy, which is how we ended up here. My official position on Tampa, FL is - hate this place. No offense to those of you who love it here, but I don't. Yes, I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could find someplace wonderful in Florida. However, we didn't. Save the "Florida is Fabulous" stuff for someone else. As soon as the DoD says we can leave this festival of hurricanes, killer reptiles and child sex offenders, we're outta here with big smiles.

As my subtitles implies, I'm recently returned from the Sandbox. I started my military career right out of high school with a little more than four years in the Marine Corps. I was a combat correspondent, spent two years in Okinawa and a year in 29 Palms, and got out as a sergeant in Spring 2001.

In fall of 2003, I was bored and we were at war, so I joined the Army Reserve for three years. I did an eight-month tour working at Major High Silly Command here in Tampa, then a 14 month mobilization that included 11 months in Iraq. I worked in Civil Affairs. It was a long year in Iraq, but we brought everybody home alive, and I remain very proud of that. I (very recently) finished my Army time as a staff sergeant.

It remains to be seen what will happen when I get bored again, and whether or not this will lead to another "hitch" in another service.

Since my return (in June), I've been rattling around. We've got less than a year left here, so I'm taking some classes at my local community college and conducting a half-ass search for a job that won't demand very much but will pay extremely well.