11 August 2007

Evil, thou name art CMP

I fired up the old Bad Dog email earlier today. Outlook thought, and it downloaded and it downloaded, then it presented me with email.

Spam...spam...amusing forwarded pictures...hey...hold on, it's the CMP sales update!

As we can all remember, the Civilian Marksmanship Program people are the ones responsible for my three-month emotional meltdown related to the M1 Carbines.

They announced the pricing and release schedule for the remaining carbines a while back, and I am pleased. They're keeping the prices within the realm of sanity, and spreading the releases out enough that I should be able to at least try to get my paperwork in for one of the Saginaw S'G' (Grand Rapids) guns in March 2009.

So what could they have that might interest me? I'm not buying an Underwood carbine, and although their ammo prices are nice, I can't afford those quantities. But I clicked anyway. And what to my wondering eyes should appear...the Garands are back!

Reasonably affordably, too.

Now, the limit for CMP purchasers is 12 Garands a year. I bear no ill will toward those with the means to buy one a month or 12 in one fell swoop, but I am not among them.

Just one for me, please. I fired off an email to see what new paperwork I'll have to send along with the order as a result of the move. They say ship times will probably be 90-120 days.

[sigh]

But hey - that should give me time to stockpile ammo. Which, let's be honest, is a pretty good time in and of itself.