15 October 2007

Not dead

here, just busy.

This was my first drill weekend, so I got to dig out boots and do that whole thing. Seems like a nice group of people, so that's a happy thing.

Of course, it took the DoD exactly 27 minutes to get back in the habit of screwing up my life, as I noted that next month's drill was out of town and would force to miss the Marine Corps Ball.

Normally, this isn't something I'd mind. I have been to my share of Marine Corps Balls. And probably your share, too. In my junior Marine days, taking pictures of each ball was something we did for the base paper, and it wasn't at all uncommon to hit four or six in the space of a week.

After I got out, it got worse, because:
A) the Mister almost always had some sort of coordinating role that meant I'd spend at least half the night sitting without him at our table trying to make conversation with strangers
B) it required formalwear.

I think we all know me well enought to recognize that "gowns" are not a clothing item with which I am normally enchanted. That was a real downer every year - go out and find some sort of long dress. Ick. And shoes to match. Double ick.

This spring, however, my fabulous friend MC got married and her only instruction to me (as a bridesmaid) was, "long, black and formal." I found a dress I adore (which, if I may say such a thing, makes me look damn good), and which I was looking forward to trotting out for this year's Ball.

Oh, well. It's black and timeless, so even if there are no formal occasions between now and then, it'll work for next year too.