16 November 2006

If it ain't one thing...

...it's another. And sometimes, if you're really really lucky, it's BOTH things at the same time.

So there I was on Sunday, hanging out up here before Mom's surgery. It was late afternoon but not dark yet, and I got a call on my cellphone. It was Mr. Abby, calling from his regular Sunday motorcycle ride.

"Hey, Honey."
"Hey, sweetie, what's up?"
"Well, I had a litte problem..."

This is never a good way to kick off a conversation. Long story short- he was riding on a big sweeping curve up somewhere in Marry Your Cousin Country (that is, north florida) and some cat-sized animal ran out in front of him. He went about 30 yards down the road, the bike ended up in a TREE.



I have in the past harassed him about the whole body motorcycle outfit, but I was very happy he was wearing it on Sunday. And of course he was sporting his full-face helmet. When he checked out of the ER, he had a small laceration from his sunglasses, a wrenched back and a sprained knee. The helmet was cracked and the bike, well, you can see how that turned out.

Moral of the story: If you insist upon riding a motorcycle, wear your safety gear.