21 March 2007

More CMP Information

The Inland M1 carbines are going to sell at $495 +22.95 shiping and handing. Hmmm... That seems a little steep. The rifles are not all-original - one stands a very good chance of having some other manufacturer's parts married up with the Inland receiver. Then again...it's a service grade rifle - better than "rack" or "field" grade weapons.

This does clear things up a little. I will most probably get me an Inland. They're going to be good, decent rifles, and although there may be more out there rattling around the world, I don't think they'll show up any cheaper in the future.

Also...if the vast majority of these rifles, the common ones, are going to go for $495, I have to face the fact that I will not be able to afford one of the real rarities later this year. I'm just totally guessing here, but I could see the Rock-ola or Saginaw S'G' pieces going for somewhere from $800-$1200. I've spent that kind of money on guns before, and I'll do it again, but I can't see doing it for something I really intend to shoot once and then hang on a wall next to some nice WWII recruiting posters.

So. People, you have from now until maybe April 27th to get your shit together. Go to the CMP website, download the paperwork. Get your forms notarized, and be ready to launch it to them so that it arrive on - but not one second before 30 April.

I have no concept of how fast these are going to go. The general consensus (I can find references, but not the original source page) is that there are about 30,000 carbines coming. Inland made roughly 43% of all carbines manufactured, so assuming the standard distribution of manufacturers holds true with this batch from Italy...that would give us 12,900 Inlands. Give or take a few hundred.

A few of the maniacs (and I say that lovingly) on the CMP sales forum seem to be holding out hope that they won't move fast at that price and that CMP will lower it. I dunno about all that.

It's hard to tell with obsessives. And old weapons collectors are nothing if not obsessive. I don't even have a good idea of how many are out there. There is no question in my mind that the CMP will have mail on 30 April. But will they have mail from the 40 guys who hang out on their forums, plus maybe another 100 people who lurk there? Will they have mail from 1,500 hysterical gun nuts? 15,000?

Hard to tell. But barring major weirdness, I will be one of the maniacs who sends them forms and money. I have to try it at least once. Plus, the CMP sends you the rifle via UPS. How cool is that?