23 March 2007

Oh - the spider

The damn thing has gone into hiding. I finally had to call it a night around 0345, but was up until 0430 or so, worried about feeling its nasty, hairy spider feet walking across my legs.

And I'm a little concerned because it's described as a "hunting" spider. What the Hell does it hunt? We don't have an insect infestation that could have lured it in (I kill about two roaches a year in here). Plus, it's BIG. I'm concerned it might be hunting SPARKY.

You know, I only really mind these things in the house. Because they're everywhere outside. Check this out.

I was on a very cool trip a few years ago (Madagascar). Our guide, one night, showed us what he obviously thought was the neatest thing. After dark, when there's dew on the tall grass, he'd shine a flashlight across it. And you'd see all the sparkly little points. Little dew drops, right?

Negative, ghostrider. Many of those little sparkly points are spider eyes. Big old wolf-spider-looking spiders. With eyes. Watching.

How horrifying. I've been uncomfortable peeing in the tall grass at night ever since.

I did make a point of demonstrating this to the stepkids. They weren't sure whether it was cool or terrifying. Me neither.