30 May 2007

Weather competition

What is it about people that makes them want to tell you how bad their weather is? I do it, too, with the hurricanes, so I'm not preaching - just curious.

And you can't talk them out of fixating on it, either. Since I announced the move, people have been looking at me and saying, "Texas - well, it's really really hot."

And I nod, and say, "okay....and what else?"

"No, you don't get it - it's really hot."

Yes. I get it. It's hot. However, there's nothing I can do about that, and I have a passing relationship with "hot."

I have a dear old friend down here who, in response to my question about packing for the move ("should I bring a jacket?") sent me a long lecture on the heat and dressing for it.

[sigh]

Which was fine, because that's just him, and his way of being helpful. But people, the last two places I've spent any significant time have been central Florida and Iraq. Really, stop telling me about the Texas heat. I'm sure it's hot, but it's not as though I've spent my entire life in Buffalo and don't own a pair of sunglasses.

Why is it we feel the need to brag about the awfulness of our home climates? I bet if we'd been moved to Iowa, I'd have heard about tornados for these several weeks.