02 July 2007

Car bombs in Britain

Although my TV has been almost entirely taken over by short people watching fucked-up Japanese cartoons, I am aware that savages have been trying their luck with car bombs in Great Britain. It appears that the madness has spread to Brisbane, where the Forces of Good just snatched up another plotting fucker.

The Official Bad Dog Position on car bombs is, not surprisingly, one of disapproval. But see, it's real strong disapproval.

I saw one of these once. About 20 yards to my immediate right. And although it winged a couple of my guys, it killed a fucking truckload of civilians.

Civilians are not targets. They are not targets. Not targets, not targets, not targets.

The days are long behind the Western Powers when we thought that killing the shit out of non-combatants was a good and honorable strategy. However, for our enemies, killing civilians is the cat's ass. It's the thing to do.

I always thought that was wrong. I always disapproved of the targeting of civilians in a detached, conceptual way. Ain't right, y'know?

But then I saw it, and now it turns my stomach. The fact of the thing is vile. But the implication are worse. Because that sort of violence does bad things to a society.

Parents don't drop kids off at the county fair with a $20 bills and a pick-up time in places where savages drive explosive-packed cars into crowds of children. And you don't have "sidewalk sales" in towns where the sidewalks are killing fields. You don't stand and chat with friends in front of the grocery store when doing so makes you a target. There are no high school football games, no teenagers clustered at the local Dairy Queen in that sort of society.

You live with fear in that kind of society, where that random death can intrude anywhere. Americans do not now live with a lot of fear - nothing like the fear that's out there when this sort of thing shows up.

These suicide bomb attacks - they're like mini 9/11s. The same things are horrifying - why those victims? Why this morning? Why that building? And after a while, it ceases to shock, and it's just another horrifying part of life.

But I tell you what, the idea of that mindset coming here is hard to stomach. Which kid do you send to the grocery store? The post office? Is an earache worth going to the hospital?

I don't want it here. I don't want that thought process in my wonderful country. But it's close. Britain is close. Australia is close.

It's a war, folks. Said it before, and I'm saying it again. We take it to them to keep them from bringing it to us.

And I'd do anything to keep that from coming here.