05 July 2007

Warm fuzzy firearm goodness

I'm sure you don't want to hear me whine about the issues I've been having recently with the camera and my laptop. Suffice it to say I have to weasel my way onto the desktop to deal with images. It's a mystery.

[pauses to interact with pictures. sighs in frustration]

Then, of course, it turns out the pictures suck. Oh, well. I've been yammering about this M1 carbine for so long you're getting the only decent picture. They sent me an M2 stock, which is in great shape, but it's not the sexy, slim stock I so adore.



I have a standard M1 stock from the Planfield Frankengun, but I haven't even had an opportunity to take the carbine apart for its Big Cleaning yet, so that can wait. I'm sure if I poke around, I can find a GI M1 stock, too. Not a big deal. The metal is all good, and the cosmoline isn't that bad, other than around (and in) the rear sight.

Since I only have one workable carbine shot, I'll share something else. A while ago we talked about guns that are not suitable for attempting murder, because they're wimpy and you end up with rounds lodged between the skin and skull of your intended victim. Didn't know I have one of those useless guns, didja?



I picked up this .25 Galesi for next to nothing in one of those I-love-this-country parking lot transactions a couple months back. It actually hits where you point it (more or less) at the sort of ranges at which one might have to use it. I get failures to feed pretty often on the last round in the magazine, which could probably be fixed with a new magazine spring if I were so inclined.

I bought it more as a curio than anything else, and so I haven't done anything other than a little cursory cleaning. But it's cute. And shiny.