07 July 2007

The carbine issue

I keep pulling the carbine out and looking at it. I just do not care for that M2 stock. Yes, yes, it's cosmetic. But I'm a shallow woman.

Here's a better picture I just took in the driveway. If this entry ends suddenly, it means the neighbors got weirded out and called the popo. I'd be disappointed by that, seeing as this is Texas.



So. It's pretty, but I can't get over the unsexy stock. I need something like this one.



But not that one, because that's the one that came with my Plainfield, which means it's not the original GI. And that, my friends, is part of the adventure. So. In between doing the things I should be doing with the new house, and pretending to be a decent stepmom and at least a mediocre wife, I am working on this:



That's an original GI stock (in a bag). It's sweating out the old cosmoline and other nastiness (hence the bag and the sun), but it shows signs of cleaning up nicely. I have a big ol' can of boiled linseed oil waiting in the garage. This stock has a nice Ordnance Corps acceptance stamp, and a couple of other nice markings that are becoming clear as I remove the ick.

I think, in the end, it will please me. Which is really all that matters, I think.