21 April 2009

Why I'm not a morning person

I woke up at 0530 after what passed for the best night's sleep since I got to Camp Waitin' Around. Hmm, I thought, what I need right now is a big scoop of powdered eggs and some Army coffee.

So that's what I did. Fortunately, the chowhall here is one of those places you can go wearing PT gear, since I've sworn off long pants for the duration of the waiting around phase here.

I ate, had a smoke, then realized I had time before our next organized standing-around and trooped over to the internet point. The internet point is, of course, a trailer. With the requisite slightly beaten-down wooden pallet in front of the door. I stepped on it to step up, and my right foot went through between two semi-broken slats.

We can see where this is going, right?

My foot would not come out.

It's hard to look dignified trying to free your foot from a pallet without toppling over. A nice young sergeant came to my rescue and offered me a shoulder so I could get good yanking leverage. Foot came out, shoe did't, but I managed to extract it.

Fortunately, folks, Your Author is not abnormally attached to her sense of dignity. If this is a sign about how today is going to go, I'm not sure exactly what it means. We'll see.