12 March 2007

Did you know...

that it's possible to lose your keys in a Jeep Wrangler and spend an hour finding them?

Last night I stopped at a truck stop near Ocala. Fueled up, walked the Bad Dogs, locked them in and went into the store. Bought coffee and water, then returned to the Jeep. Unlocked the door, then did the part where I put my coffee in the holder and my candy on the dash, all while keeping Sparky from launching himself out the door or stepping in my coffee.

I watered the dogs, then was about to start the Jeep. Where were the keys? I looked on the dash where I often set them...nope. Must have put them on the driver's seat as I lunged in, so I opened the door and got out...-clink-...I heard them move. But I couldn't see them.

Looked on the floor. Looked under the seat. Looked under the seat covers. Unloaded the passenger side and looked there. Nope. At this point, Sparky was being less than helpful whenever I had a door open, so he got tied to the front bumper.

As I was beginning to get seriously concerned, I wedged my head under my seat to try to look at a different angle (with a flashlight in my mouth). Of course, I smacked my head against some part of the seat, and as I jerked back in pain, I saw them.

Did you know there's a little ledge where the bottom part of the door secures that blocks the view from above of about two inches of floor space? I did not know that. Now I do.

However, it made me happy that I always carry the World's Greatest Flashlight, which is a story of its own. I'll be back later with that one.

And YES- I did untie the yorkie from the bumper before I took off. Although, after all his hysteria, it was tempting not to.