17 March 2007

Here we are

in lovely Jacksonville, North Carolina. My only visit here was long ago, and under training circumstances, so I never saw anything beyond Camp Geiger.

I wasn't missing much.

However, I did manage to find a hotel with a bar, so it's all good. Mr. Abby had a hard time finding the place at first last night, which led to an amusing exchange as some old drunk in the bar gave him directions via cellphone. This guy sounded like the North Carolina equivalent of Boomhauer (from King of the Hill).

There were baby Marines at the bar from the School of Infantry. I forgot how cute they are. Looking about 12 years old, with their brand-new "0311" tattoos and little Baby Marine haircuts. Love 'em. They get crusty as they get older, but when they're that young...you just want to rub their little naked heads and say "awww..."

OK. More later - perhaps with pictures.