09 May 2007

Phase II

I just ordered the World's Cheapest Red Dot Tacticool Optic. Seriously - I spared every expense and ordered the fourth one down on this site.



That, folks, is how we know Abby isn't a Mall Ninja. Mall Ninjas buy the good shit.

No lectures, please. The Uber-Tactical M1 Carbine Project exists strictly to entertain me. If the zombies show up, please rest assured I won't be manning the barricades with a rifle I've built using the cheapest bits available.

The rail, however, was not a cost-saving measure. It's the only object I've found that would enable me to play these games with the carbine. Still, at $90, it didn't induce any cringing. I promised a picture.

As I mentioned, it went on with no issues. The Ramline stock didn't have any structures that required sanding/removal/alteration. The instructions said to not let the rail touch the receiver or the barrel band, so I scooted it a couple millimeters forward of the receiver and cranked the screws tight.

It doesn't interfere with the iron sights, although unless I track down the right mount, they'll be useless once I put an optic on. I think. It sure looks that way.

It seems secure, although we'll have to wait and see if it stays in place once I start shooting. The M1 carbine is not exactly a kicks-like-a-government-mule type of weapon, but the test will be interesting.

OK. Further updates once I get the optic.