19 April 2007

Ahh...resolution

Sorry about the light posting. It's been a tiresome couple of days. I'm going to summarize.

It's hard to write when there's only one real-world story going on. The position I take, and the position pretty much everyone I'm interested in takes, is, "Jesus. What an awful shame. Too bad somebody didn't shoot that bastard before he killed all those fine people." Once everybody's said that, and agreed on that, everything else is...unnecessary.

Jack's vet appointment was great. He was a good boy. No microchip showed up when they scanned him (but he's got one now), so he'll be staying. He's got The Appointment next Friday. Vet says he's probably almost full grown. He weighs 43 pounds now, she said he'll probably get an inch taller and end up at 55 or 60 pounds. Cool. I've had much bigger dogs, but that's a handy size.

I have a job, and a start date (end of next month). That's nice, because it enables us to move forward in our dialog with a realtor and start some concrete planning. It's also going to enable me to buy tickets to my buddy's wedding, since now I know where I'll be flying out of.

I'm not going to be specific about who I'll be working for, but that's more to protect my privacy than anything else. Suffice it to say it's the first private-sector job I'll have held since 1996. Even my rent-a-cop time was as a federal contractor. I'm not sure how I feel about that, since a highlight of the public stuff was always feeling as though I was providing a service to people. We'll see.

The highly entertaining part of all of this, and the part which you all will be invited to ride along and laugh at me during, is going to be June. I'll be heading to DFW at the end of May, and until Mr. Abby and the Pack show up and we close on a house, I will be seeking one of those homeless-people-type "weekly rate" motels to live in. And I'm poor. And cheap.

So, although we'll suffer a shortage of dog pics in June, you all will be privvy to Exclusive Updates from Skid Row. An adventure! I can't wait.