15 April 2007

You's talk funny

I thought this was highly interesting. It's a survey of regional dialect patterns.

Mostly, it looks to me like a lot of regional peculularities have become widespread - not surprising considering the increased mobility of Americans.

I've been accused of talking like a northerner. I've also been accused picking up strange southern phrases. I'm sure a lot of that is the military - that's a culture that, beyond its own weird turns of a phrase, blends a lot of different regionalisms. I've heard it said that "everyone in the Army sounds like they're from Georgia," which is, to my observation, largely true.

Although we mostly recongize that there is a "correct" way to speak, there ARE acceptable variations in both phrasing and pronounciation. I've always found that interesting.

Anyway. Thought y'all might get a kick out of the survey, hey? Enjoy.