16 July 2007

Monday morning...running like Hell and gunfire

And I do not have to be doing the evil "working." I picked up Saturday, so, because my Corporate Masters frown on overtime (as do I, in general), I have today off.

Mr. Abby and I went running this morning - he took Jack, who seemed to enjoy the whole outing and who is sacked out on the floor now.

We're going to the range today for some Quality Family Shootin' Time. We're trying a place called "Alpine," which I will declare either Good, Mediocre or Evil once I've been. I did make the phone call down there to ask about what, if any, ammo restrictions they have on the rifle range.

"No FMJ - only hollowpoint or softpoint."

Okaaay. I'm not entirely sure what the theory behind that one is, but since the last range was FMJ only ("no hollowpoint or softpoint!") I'm a little low on practice-grade ammo of a fitting sort.

So - off to WallyWorld! People, unless you're shooting strange calibers or can find everything from those odd manufacturers in the former Soviet Republics, you should be buying your ammunition at WalMart. Yes, yes, I know. Evil soulless conglomerate...support your local gunshop...etc etc blah blah blah. People who say things like this are either wealthy, or reloaders (or both - and I don't hate them, that's just not where I'm at). If they carry it, WalMart beats what you can pay anywhere else, and significantly.

They should have what I need in .223 (the boys are simply enamored of the AR15). I have the softpoint 6.5 Carcano (Precise Boy's weapon of choice). I'm going to take it on the chin with the .30 carbine in a softpoint, but that's OK - I'm tough. Or stupid, as might be evidenced by the fact that I'm about to take off to the range with multiple 13-year-old boys.

We shall see.