16 July 2007

Notes from a range trip

1 - WalMart still rocks on ammo prices, but availability was limited. However, y'all Texans have something called "Academy," and that's pretty cool. I got bent over on the soft point .30 carbine (but we knew that was coming). I got some cheap SP 55 grain 5.56 cheap, though. That was a winner.

2 - Alpine shooting range. I'd heard some grumbling around the internet that I seem to recall indicating the place sucked, but I thought it was fine. Not fabulous, but fine. The range officers were non-annoying, and it wasn't crowded. My only complaint - I was shooting with kids (of limited skill) and had a new gun, so I'd have appreciated a 25-yard line.

3 - I didn't pay any extra, and I didn't send along a 12-pack, but the Civilian Marksmanship Program sent me a carbine that shoots. I did a fast cleaning on all the metal bits, and put the M1 stock on after a couple of (far too) quick coats of BLO. My stripping job was good, but I'm going to need to use a little steel wool and more (slowly applied) BLO to make up for shoving it in a case tackey.

3b - I mean, it really shoots. I fired ten rounds and made some sight adjustments (all grouping nicely, although vertically, since I was dropping the sights), then Mr. Abby whined his way onto the bench. He fired five rounds that one could have covered with a quarter (I should have saved that target) just a shade to the right of the bull. It was 50 yards and off the bench and he's a good shooter, so I'm more impressed with the rifle than the shooting. But I'm happy with it.

4 - If you've been letting the kids shoot seven or ten yards with pistols, then suddenly all that's available is 25, it's a little rough on them. Particularly when they're out of practice. I'll have to find somewhere indoors with adjustable lanes to rebuild their militant self-esteems.