05 May 2007

Flexibility

So - we got Mr. Abby packed. Then we made a couple of stops and I dropped him at the airport.

We've done this a few times before, so he got dropped at the curb with a kiss and a reminder, "wear your protective eyewear and stay out of the first vehicle!"

I turned around, made another stop, and came home. I opened the door, let the dogs out, and fed them. I was just settling in to watch the Derby, then run and make a Publix trip. You know, all the good shit I do when he's gone.

The phone rang.

"Hey, honey. Change of plans. Can you get me at the airport?"

So I turned around, hopped in the Jeep, and picked him up.

Seems that the flight that was going to carry them from point A to point B was already running behind. This would have made it highly unlikely that their connection at Point C would have worked. Missing the connection at point C would have totally screwed up point D, and they would've arrive at Point E with only moments to spare, and their bags already a day behind them.

This, of course, would have meant that they'd probably have had to proceed from point E to point F without their bags. Point F is also a short stop, and they really really needed their gear to take from point F to point G.

So they scrapped points D and E, and they'll try again soon.

This means, of course, that I have a husband again, and a big pile of baggage, and a healthy supply of hysterical phone calling going on.

But, it also means the dogs got a big old fun group walk.

This is one of those "Semper Gumby" occasions. Gotta love that. Since I have him around another...well, however long, I think I'm going to drag him out for pizza and beer.