15 May 2007

Range report

Well. Huh. That works.

I trooped out and got one of the trusty Osama targets. I think they're tacky, but they're also HUGE, which helps when you really have no idea where you're going to shoot.



OK. I could work that. My point of aim was the middle of Osama's beard. So I fiddled around with the windage and elevation knobs.



As you can see, we're getting closer. I have always been too conservative with my sight adjustments. I ran out one of the Blue Guy targets. Around this time, I started have ejection issues - so forgive some of my groups, as I occasionally had to pop a casing out of the chamber. I'll be taking a look at that later this evening.



That's at 25 and then 50. So I adjusted down, and ran it back out. Then I burned through another 20 rounds or so, with one right windage adjustment. The results were satisfactory.



Now I have to figure out this extraction thing. I'm hoping a good shot of oil will fix it - I got to the range before I realized I was shooting bone dry. I've got a couple specific things to look at - I don't think it's going to be a big problem.

That little red dot was cool - made shooting with both eyes open a simple thing.

In summary:
Plainfield M1 Carbine - $175
New extractor - $3.35
Composite stock - $43.01
Ultimak rail - $87
UTG 1x32 CQB Quick Aim Dot optic - $40
Total: $348.86

That is, of course, not accounting for shipping or the time I spent working on the bolt rebuild. Hint - if you ever think about doing anything with your M1 Carbine bolt, buy the bolt tool.