13 February 2007

Leaky roof

So the leak wasn't too bad. We were getting some pretty torrential rain, and we've got a couple "weak spots" in the kitchen. It really shouldn't surprise me that one of them finally went.

Of course, this means a call to the landlord. Although our slumlords are very nice people, they have not in the past shown a lot of enthusiasm about spending money on the place. They're trying to sell it, so that's not a good sign.

I figure there's a 50/50 chance they'll dispatch a horde of illegal immigrants to fix the problem. They've done that before (which explains, in a strange way, how I ended up with a bathroom towel bar bolted to my old refrigerator in place of a handle).

There's an equally good chance they'll just send someone over to paint the area and persist in trying to sell it.

I could really give a rat's ass, but we're going to be here a little while longer, and spring/summer in Florida brings nothing so much as torrential downpours. I can see the entire ceiling collapsing inward when the first hurricane brushes by.

So I have a phone call to make tomorrow.

[sigh]