23 April 2007

Good news for my boozehounds

Now, if the major media outlets spent more time letting us know about this kind of thing...

Adding ethanol -- the type of alcohol found in rum, vodka, tequila and other spirits -- boosted the antioxidant nutrients in strawberries and blackberries, the researchers found.

Any colored fruit might be made even more healthful with the addition of a splash of alcohol, they report in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture.

Fruity drinks as health food? Out-freaking-standing.

Now, I know you're thinking, Abby, we know you drink beer. And we know you drink wine. And we know that the voices in your head have, on occasion, caused you to drink scotch. But fruity drinks?

Oh, yes. Life is far too short to avoid the yummy, boozy drinks with umbrellas. Now, I rarely have the opportunity to drink umbrella drinks - I do not, much as I'd like to, live in a beachfront tikki bar (although if my entire life doesn't fall into line in short order, that's always on the table).

But when the opportunity arises, I believe firmly in the fruity drink. Now, I'm not into orange juice, and I generally dislike peach schnapps (are you seeing the options narrowing?). Frozen drinks are...well, I find they get tedious. And a little tequila goes a long way.

So where does that leave us? Lots of places, really, but I have an affinity for the Singapore Sling. It's red, and fruity, and because I ran across it somewhere in Asia, I have happy memories associated with it.

Little did I know until I ran the Google search that the correct recipe for said drink is shrouded in confusion and is the topic of discussion among the sort of people who discuss that sort of thing. Check out this lengthy discussion.

Huh. Well, it's been a while since I last ordered one, but as I recall, the good ones are a deep red.

Anyway, go get yourself a fruity drink with an umbrella. They're good for you! If you have suitable companionship available, find a bar that has a patio and some torches and consume your entire RDA of fruits from a large, silly glass.