26 April 2007

In which I confess what I WILL miss about Florida

During my oh-so-brief trip to DFW last month, I did notice one thing that's going to bum me out about this move. People there seemed to wear real clothes.

Now there isn't much nice to say about Florida, but the pretty-much-year-round dress code of sandals, shorts and untucked shirts has grown on me. You can wear sandals anywhere here. I've seen people walking into church wearing sandals.

I had to see someone about a thing this morning, and I felt I should look mildly reputable. So I put on a nicer untucked button down camp shirt, excessively casual beach khakis, and shoes. I paused for a moment, though, "I don't want to wear shoes," and swapped 'em out for sandals. Love that.

Heck, I've gotten to the point where I really only wear actual shirts when it's a social requirement. There's nothing I can't do around the house and yard wearing a sports bra, and as long as I occasionally shave my armpits, a tank top will work in 98% of the other places I go.

It's probably a really good thing I took the job offer in Texas that involves a casual dress code, because matching up pieces of "outfits" for the office environment is a skill I never had much of a grasp on, and I've happily let tumble away while being here.

Although I may be expected to wear real shoes there.