05 April 2007

Big Brown Truck of...Irritation?

I just intercepted the UPS man as he approached the door. He looked a little frightened to see me come hurtling out at him until I explained, "didn't want you to knock - makes the dogs crazy."

Of course, as I knew, it was the ammo, not the shirts.



And now you can really see why I wasn't all excited. 6.5 Carcano and an extra hundred of off-brand .30 carbine. Yeah - like I was waiting with bated breath for that.

I do have a Carcano - a bastardized sporterized cut-down of a rifle (the M91, I belive) that wasn't much to speak of originally. But - it was like $35 bucks on gunbroker.com, and after a little work and a little sanding, I took it to the range and found...it worked. You line up the sights and you hit what you're shooting at (if it's not more than 100 yards away).

But it's a little, tiny thing. So y'all know what that means...it's a kid rifle. One of the Bad Pups (my stepkids, for the new folks here) has adopted it. He can hit what he shoots at and it's his huntin' rifle, entirely ready for the day when either of the boys can sit quiety enough for more than 45 seconds and some deaf hog or whitetail wanders into range.

It's a good kid rifle. Simple iron sights, not punishing, etc. But ammo's a bitch. So when I found soft-point at 9.95/20, I jumped. Perhaps I'll take it to the range and ensure the ammo works.

Here's a pic of said Italian bastard rifle, pictured with my 336CS for reference.

UPDATE: It occurred to me that someone else might want softpoint 6.5 Carcano at 9.95/box. Here's where I got mine.