01 April 2007

It's always gotta be complex...

The Bad Dogs eat the same thing. A Purina "healthy system" dry food made largely of salmon (and it stinks), with a small can of Pedigree wet food divided between them. Casey eats quite a bit, Sparky eats much less, and often they switch back forth between each other's bowls. Both are healthy weights, so I don't worry much about the details.

This has gotten a little complicated with Allie here. Like many labs, Allie is...big boned. Know what I mean? So she eats special food.

Now, although Allie hangs out with Cousin R, she really belongs to Cousin R's gentleman friend, Mr. Really Great.

Mr. Really Great is a very nice guy, but he loves his dog and could totally kick my ass. So since he takes her special diet Very Seriously (as he should), I do too.

What this means, of course, is that Dog Supper (and since Allie used to eating twice daily, Dog Breakfast), require a little adult supervision. Normally I kick the dogs out, fill their bowls, let them back in and ignore them.

Now I kick them out, fill the bowls (with crunchies - nobody gets wet food if everybody doesn't), let them in, steer them to the right bowl, steer them back to the right bowl, and stand in the middle of the kitchen until everyone is chowing down on the appropriate substance.

The Bad Dogs, of course, are now asking, "where's our people food?" since they normally get meat leftovers and big beef bones and occasionally eggs and/or soup.

And Allie occasionally tries to pull one over on me, by resting her head on my knee as I'm eating cheese or something else I'm normally inclined to share.

Sorry, Allie. Your Dad would strangle me if I fed you bacon cheeseburgers, so it's not gonna happen.