25 February 2007

Fun at Abby's expense

OK. My veterans out there are going to laugh at me.

I was loading some AR-15 magazines before going to the range today. The 30-round ones. I don't have a speedloader, or ammuntion on stripper clips, or that many magazines (yet), so I was doing it by hand.

Now, all my old military people know that these magazines are tricky. It's entirely possible to not have the rounds in quite right. If you do it wrong, the green tips will extend too far forward and catch on the front of the magazine or not feed right. See below image.



So, what you gotta do is thump the magazine every so often to ensure the rounds are up against the back of it. Got it? You can (and should) slap the magazine against your thigh or the open palm of your hand.

But that's not what Abby did, is it? Because we all know that the best way to seat the rounds is with a good, firm tap on your helmet.

Did you know that if you do that at least once a day for a year, the next time you load an AR15 magazine, even if it's months later, you will do the exact same thing?

Except I don't wear a helmet around my house. Ouch. I feel like an ass.