01 March 2007

Product testing...

You know we here at BDC do not endorse anything we do not personally think is fabulous. So tonight I'm taking it upon myself to try "Landshark Lager."

Thus far (half a bottle in), it seems fine. Decent, light, American-style beer. A little tiny bit more robust than Corona (then again, what isn't?).

It's a shameless moneymanking tool for the Jimmy Buffet Empire. And I'm cool with that. Jimmy Buffet has been very good to me, and so I'm entirely about giving him money.

I've liked the music for years. I actually worked as unpaid security in my young jarhead days at a concert of his in Maryland. That was a hoot.

I've participated in the writing and drunken singing of many bad parodies "Margaritaville" in many places. My favorite? "Wasting away in Utapao," written by a pack of Marines stranded at an airbase in Thailand for a seemingly endless training exercise.

Jimmy Buffet also makes bad things better.

A couple of very clever GIs ripped him off to make fun of their time in Iraq ("Mortaritaville"). Hear the song here. Buy the album here.

I had a copy of Barometer Soup I used to listen to after the bad days in Iraq and that was a good thing.

I even read the books. Only "Tales from Margaritaville" was actually worth buying, but that's okay. I didn't hold it against the guy.

So anyway, I'm product testing his beer. I'm definitely biased, but I think the verdict will be at least "drinkable."