31 January 2007

Showing mine over here, boss!

OK - I'm going to stop thinking about this post and just DO it, before it turns into one of those many things I put off far too long. Here was my task:

I was thinking it would be cool to make a meme about favorite childhood toys with pictures and descriptions. I found pretty much everything on Ebay and google images.

I'm going to preface this by pointing out that I was a rural only child. It's not like I didn't have toys - I did (I think) - but I don't remember playing much with them. If I wasn't walking around in the woods with a childhood dog, I mostly remember being holed up somewhere with a book. But...there were a few.

Remember this?



This game ROCKED. Now, there's wasn't much of a point to Hungry Hungry Hippos. You controlled the Hippo's mouth and tried to get your hippo to eat more marbles than anyone else's hippo. But it was cool. I mean, it has marbles. And hippos.

But for sheer parental annoyance...who remembers this one?



Oh, yes. You do. Now, this was only mildly fun, since I've always had about zero artistic talent. But it had pegs. And lights. So it was cool. And I'm fairly sure both of my parents still have scars on their feet from stepping on the pegs.

And then there were these.



I was born in 78. So I was the perfect age to be an utter little Star Wars dweeb. I had dozens of these things. And their ships. And their vehicles. The age of my greatest obsession happened to coincide with the age at which children like to have toys in the bath.

So yeah, I've been naked with Ewoks. And Admiral Akbar. And all the rest of them.