02 February 2007

Being prepared

Many of my fellow Floridians are having a very crappy evening. The news coverage of the tornado situation (Florida - where the weather tries to kill you all year 'round!), combined with a comment on my earlier Laundry Loadout post, got me thinking about emergency preparedness.

We're pretty well set here at BDC. In hurricane season, we become very well set up. Hey - it's a small house, I'm not keeping 55 gallons of drinking water in here year 'round.

But what I don't have is a good first aid kit. Oh, we've probably got enough crap around here to perform surgery. But it's not in one place. So I did a little googling...

There's a fantastic site called LifeKit that appeals to me immensely. OK - so the really cool kits are like $1500 and would probably enable you to be seriously useful if a 747 skidded off its runways near your house. But if you poke around the site a little, they've got some nice cheaper setups for less than $50.

But none of those include DRUGS. And let's be honest, in most awful situations, you're just as likely to need antibiotics, anti-screaming shits drugs, and painkillers as anything else.

And the packages suck. So I kept looking. I found another site for discount cool shit.

Hmmm...those first aid kits are ok, but they still lack drugs. However, the same site offers really good prices on one of Abby's Favorite Things In The Whole Wide World - PELICAN CASES!!!!

I'd tell you all about these fabulous cases, but even thinking about them makes me almost too giddy to speak. But if you were going to pack your own first aid kit, you'd want to do it in a Pelican case. 'Cause they're so damn cool.

I was just about to pull the trigger on this one. Selected it in yellow (going with the whole "hi-viz" theme). Entered all my info...shipping and handling was like $16! WTF??? I don' think so, Guido....

But I think I'm going to keep an eye out, and pick one up (somewhere where they might charge me more, but at least the won't pretend it's "shipping"). Perhaps on Fleabay. Because Pelican cases ROCK, and I'm getting kinda stuck on this vision of a bright yellow one strapped in the Jeep...