08 February 2007

At home gunsmithing

also known as "listen to Abby swear." As if me cursing really merits notice...

Anyway, I ordered a couple aftermarkets for the M9. I had to go with an all-steel guide rod, just because. I also ordered something called a "D" spring. It's a mainspring (aka, apparently, "hammer spring") that Beretta makes for a different model, but which is rumored to greatly reduce the double-action trigger pull. I hate DA, but hey - why not.

The installation really wasn't bad. Remove grips, pop out pin at the base of the grip, ease out lanyard loop, swap springs.

This was greatly eased by a hammer and punch set I picked up as a result of Santa's generosity (Thanks, Robby!).

At home gunsmithing is one of those things that will be much easier when I get somewhere where I can set up a vise again. There's really only so much one can do on a coffee table covered with a towel. Although, as the M1 carbine bolt rebuild demonstrated, one can do almost anything if one is stupid enough to try.

Anyway. Easy stuff. Do not fear the "D spring."