09 February 2007

Meat, sweet sweet meat

OK. You evil beggars failed to give me any good ideas, so I'm roasting this bad boy. But I did promise imagery...


So we started with the sweet hunk of gorgeous red meat. I know a few vegetarians. I try not to judge. But c'mon...you know you want it. And that's okay. It's okay to love the meat.

Then I fire up the pan for a little hot meat-on-iron action. Little kosher salt, little fresh ground black pepper. Yeah, baby.


Searing locks the juices in. It also gives a little crispy flavor that lasts through the roasting. I use a light, thin coat of olive oil in the pan. I skip that when I do pork, but I like it for beef and venison.

A brief sear on each side. Then into the dutch oven. I am madly in love with this dutch oven for meat roasting. Madly. I'm contemplating leaving Mr. Abby to pursue my deep, consuming passion with the dutch oven.



[begin Barry White voice]
Ooooohhhh, yeah....
[end Barry White voice]

The discs are half-inch slices of onion. There's garlic down there, too. The other half of the onion went on top. With a splash of red wine. Then into the oven to be ignored for a couple hours. I'll put potatos and carrots in later.

Mmmm...meat.