08 February 2007

Meat - calling for some help, here!

I was roaming through Publix today, rebuilding the Meat Stockpile. I noted some corned beef briskets. Mmmmm...corned beef. But - more than I wanted to spend. Then...I saw it. [start romantic music now]

A non-seasoned brisket. Don't see those often. It was beautiful. So I bought it.

Now, I need to decide what to do with it.

I could pot roast it. I have about five different pot roast conversations going on with different people at any given time. I do pretty well with roasts, which I normally credit to two things:

1- I sear everything I roast. It helps. Keeps the meat juicier. I swear by it.

2- I use cheap, fatty hunks of meat. Half the reason nobody's roasts taste like the ones their Mom made is because 25 years ago, we weren't obsessed with "lean" meat.

But the brisket...well, it has the look of being a potentially fabulous pot roast. But I also have a recipe for barbecuing a beef brisket, and Mr. Abby and like barbecued beef brisket.

And I'm sure there are other options. So - hey, if you have an idea, leave it in the comments. I'm cooking this beast tomorrow, or Saturday at the latest. If you've got a brisket suggestion, I'm open to it.

Promise I'll let you know how it turns out. And I'll probably take brisket pictures because, damn, that's one fine lookin' hunk of meat.