09 February 2007

Election '08 - Observations on Rudy

So, with only something like 600 days to go, I'm still all up in the air. I gotta tell y'all, though, Rudy Giuliani interests me. I hear all these complaints..."all we know about him is that he exhibited mad leadership skills in New York City immediately following 9/11!"

Ummm...yeah. That counts. Considering that nobody else anywhere in our government seems to be able to exhibit anything in the way of inspirational leadership, I'll hang around and watch Rudy.

Y'all know I'm a pro-choice, pro-gun, tree-hugging, fiscal conservative who really thinks we should spend more tax money on care for homeless pets.

But I'm going to be a single issue voter as long as people I know bleed and die in foreign countries. I believe in why they're there. And the candidate who stood before the council of foul corruption that is the United Nations and said this:

On one side is democracy, the rule of law and respect for human life. On the other, it's tyranny, arbitrary executions and mass murder. We're right and they're wrong. It's as simple as that. And by that I mean that America and its allies are right about democracy, about religious, political and economic freedom. And the terrorists are wrong and, in fact, evil in their mass destruction of human life in the name of addressing alleged injustices.

Let those who say that we must understand the reasons for terrorism, come with me to the thousands of funerals we're having in New York City--thousands--and explain those insane maniacal reasons to the children who will grow up without fathers and mothers and to the parents who have had their children ripped from them for no reason at all. Instead, I ask each of you to allow me to say at those funerals that your nation stands with America in making a solemn promise and pledge that we will achieve unconditional victory over terrorism and terrorists.


He's worth a second look. I will be watching Bill Richardson, and all the others. But because of that speech, if for no other reason, Giuliani starts with an advantage in my book.

Complete text here.